Pre-menstrual cramps and premenstrual syndrome are not signs of gynecological or menstural disorder but are often a part of the normal menstrual periods in most of the females. Though these condition can be treated using over the counter medications there are several natural and home remedies to manage the condition promptly. As per a recent study conducted in Germany, Chaste tree extract and Vitamin B6 supplements aided in reducing menstrual cramps and other symptoms of premenstrual syndrome in about 36% and 21% of the participants respectively.
|PMS is associated with |
- Experts believe that premenstrual cramps stem from the imbalance among female sex hormones namely estrogen and progesterone. This alteration in balance tends to result in smooth muscle contractions due to electrolyte imbalances.
- Liver Disorders also contribute to the development of premenstrual cramps. Liver plays an important role in excreting excess of estrogen from the blood. If the liver is not functioning adequately due to hepatitis, pre-menstrual cramps are experienced
- Some experts believe that premenstrual cramps can be attributed to lower production of serotonin (a chemical messenger and neurotransmitter). Studies have shown that serotonin resulted in increased sensitivity to pain and can result in cramping feeling in the abdomen.
- Breast pain and breast tenderness
- Abdominal bloating and gaseous distention with gassy stomach
- Fatigue with lack of energy
- Sleeplessness or insomnia
- Headache along with generalized body pain and joint pain
- Constipation or diarrhea along with nausea and vomiting may also be experienced.
Premenstrual cramps relief: Natural and Effective Home Remedies to treat PMS
- Chaste Tree extracts are considered beneficial in management of premenstrual cramps. Chaste tree supplements help regulate the hormonal imbalance by acting on the pituitary gland. Herbs like dong qaui and black cohosh are considered to increase the efficacy of chaste tree extract.
- Vitamin B6 supplements are also beneficial in management of menstrual cramps. Vitamin B6 not only improves the livers ability to process and excrete excess of estrogen, it enables the brain to stimulate the production of serotonin.
- Magnesium supplements are known to reduce muscular contractions and can help in management of menstrual cramps
- Aroma Oils are considered to benefit in reducing pre-menstrual cramps. Lavender and geranium oils can aid in reducing abdominal colic and pain.
- Regular exercise or yoga therapy can help in improving the pain threshold along with playing a key role in improving hormonal imbalances.
|Magnesium and Vitamin |
Supplements can reduce