There are a host of home remedies for nausea and vomiting; herbal remedies for nausea depend upon what causes nausea, and will help allay the queasiness and uncomfortable sensation quickly.This article provides insight into the natural cures its appropriate treatment
The following measures will aid in decreasing the sensation of nausea and queasiness quickly:
What is Nausea?
Nausea is an uncomfortable, sick sensation that is associated with vomiting, exhaustion, excessive salivation and loss of appetite. Nausea without vomiting may occur; or there may be one or more episodes of throwing up. The muscles of the stomach relax, and the normal contractions that push the food downwards in to the small intestine, shift in to reverse and the stomach contents regurgitate through the esophagus in to the mouth and out of the body.
|Regurgitation of |
Common causes of nausea and vomiting are:
- Food poisoning: spoilt food or foods that contain bacteria are the commonest cause for GI upsets which trigger nausea and vomiting to get rid of the toxic matter.
- Alcohol abuse: excessive intake of alcohol has been associated with episodes of throwing up.
- Pregnancy: pregnancy is almost always lined to morning sickness. This occurs due to high levels of hormones released during pregnancy. Also, during pregnancy oscillations occur in the blood sugar level and this too sets off nausea and queasiness.
- PMS: premenstrual syndrome is associated with nausea as well; nausea occurs due to elevated levels of hormones in the week preceding the menstrual period.
- Certain drugs and medicines: some medications are responsible for nausea and vomiting, such as chemotherapy drugs for cancer treatment.
- Over eating: especially, greasy oily and rich food is a significant cause
- Certain smells: strong smells and odors like perfumes, or smoke may make you nauseous
- Motion sickness: occasionally some people feel queasy and nauseous when travelling, particularly on winding roads.
- Stress: Stress, anguish, apprehension and anxiety result in an unsettled stomach and queasiness
Home Remedies to Treat Nausea
Home remedies provide immense relief in case of nausea related to pregnancy, motion sickness and stress. If you have eaten something foul, it would be better to not fight the vomit reflex, since vomiting will help eject the noxious matter that you have ingested.
|Peppermint is a Quick A|
cting and Effective Remedy
- Ginger: ginger tea is the most effective e home remedy for nausea. The volatile oils and gingerols in ginger soothe the GI tract, tone the muscles of the stomach and put an end to queasiness almost immediately. Having ginger tea after you have overeaten and feel nausea helps stimulate the liver to produce bile to digest the fats better. For pregnancy, you can safely take ginger, but in small quantities. In case of motion sickness, have ginger tea about 2 hours before travelling; it will prevent nausea from occurring.
- Peppermint: peppermint may be taken in the form of tea or a pill. You can also use peppermint essential oil to quell nausea. Gently massage the abdomen with the essential oil; it is exceedingly beneficial. Peppermint allays intestinal cramps and acts like a GI tonic.
- Goldenseal: a supplement of goldenseal helps increase digestive secretions and soothes the stomach and liver. However, it is not recommended during pregnancy.
- Clove: clove is a wonderful herbal remedy for nausea. Steep 4 to 5 cloves in hot water; strain and drink. Clove has been found to be the most effective and fastest acting reedy for nausea.
Natural treatment and cures for Nausea
- Lie down with a cold cloth over your forehead.
- Focus on your breathing; breathe gently and slowly. Try to not think about feeling nauseous.
- Know your triggers and steer clear of them, such as strong smells, odors, smoke, perfumes, etc.
- Do not eat for 2 to3 hours after an episode of vomiting.
- Stay well hydrated though; drink little water frequently. Suck on ice chips.